Search Wasatch County Library's Catalog
Access Your Account
We have a 3D Printer as well as 18 computers for internet and word processing available to the public. All patrons under 18 must give their cards to library staff and have a signed Internet permission slip. Patrons are allowed 2 hours a day. Printouts are in black and white and are 10 cents per copy.
To download our 3D Printing Request Form please click here.
Wasatch County Library strives to offer community access to new and emerging technologies such as 3D printers to inspire a new interest in creation and collaboration. This policy establishes how and under what circumstances the public may use the 3D printer.
The library’s 3D printer is available to the public to make three-dimensional objects in plastic using a design that is uploaded from a digital computer file with assistance from designated library staff or volunteers.
1. The library’s 3D printer may be used only for lawful purposes. The public will not be permitted to use the library’s 3D printer to create material that is:
a. Prohibited by local, state or federal law.
b. Unsafe, harmful, dangerous or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others.
c. Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment.
d. In violation of another’s intellectual property rights.
For example, the printer will not be used to reproduce material that is subject to copyright, patent
or trademark protection.
2. The library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request.
3. Cost: 3D printing at the library will cost $1.00 per object plus $.10 per gram to offset the cost of the filament and maintenance of the 3D printer.
4. Items printed from library 3D printer that are not picked up within 7 days will become property of the library. Items must be picked up by the individual who printed them.
5. Only designated library staff and volunteers will have hands-on access to the 3D printer.
6. Children 12 or under must have parental permission to request 3D print service.
The procedure for printing from the library’s 3D printer is as follows:
1. It is the responsibility of the requesting patron to design their own creation and prepare it for printing in .stl file format. Digital designs are also available from file sharing databases such as Thingiverse.com.
2. The design should be downloaded to a USB drive as a .stl file and provided to the library staff to view prior to printing for pre-approval.
3. Once the file is reviewed and approved for printing, the requesting patron must be present for the initiation of the print process (i.e – 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of the print job after the machine begins placing filament on the plate). Once the printing has begun the patron may leave and return within the designated time to retrieve their 3D print.
4. Print jobs are added to the print que on a first come first serve basis. Print times are estimates and cannot be guaranteed. Print jobs must be completed by 7:30pm Monday – Friday and by 1:00pm Saturdays.
5. The patron must pay for the 3D print before it can be turned over to them. The requesting patron is responsible for all errors that occur during the printing process. If the object does not print correctly due to design errors, it is the responsibility of the user to pay for the object. It is recommended that before you submit your file, you utilize a software that checks for errors and helps to repair them.
6. Please note that this policy and procedures governing the use of the library’s 3D printer are subject to change.
Board Approved: March 31, 2017